Friday, March 20, 2009

REFLECTION #2

Am I a strategic teacher? The question, if you were to rephrase it, seeks to ask me, was I an effective teacher? After much denial, I can admit that I was NOT and probably NEVER HAVE BEEN a strategic teacher. Although at times I suppose that unconsciously, I experimented with a few minuscule strategies, most which I probably did correctly were always by way of accidents.
I FEEL BURDENED WITH THIS THOUGHT. I was never aware of ¼ of the strategies that we are currently examining, and it leaves me to ponder on a very disturbing issue:
v Have I really failed my students?
v Are they aware that I failed them?
v Do they blame me?
Because I blame myself and I can tell you I feel guilty and as a result have been bearing such a burden and this was one of the main reasons I decided to attend Teachers’ Training College.

At times I have been guilty of becoming frustrated when students did not understand a concept, however I now realize that probably I did not try hard enough. Although there were times that I had sat in other senior teachers’ classrooms to observe their practices, I must admit that none of them practiced any of these strategies although they had all been to Teachers’ Training College.
Moreover, in my frustration, I believe that I had neglected some members of the class and cast them off as lazy, and they in turn would have disturbed the class. I then realized, that it was not that they were incapable of learning, they had a mental block towards the subject, and I had to find ways which would engage them in the subject. I had to find a way and still have to find other ways to do more.

I know I was a good teacher but I never really analyzed the idea of strategic. The concepts I taught and the ways in which I did it were purposeful, but now as I reflect, they were hardly strategic. I know that I have a long journey to tread but I am persistent and confident that at one point in my teaching, I will stumble upon a great epiphany which will enlighten me and aid me in facilitating more engaging and authentic learning experiences for the diverse students who enter my classroom, which are purposeful as well as strategic.

I can imagine that every child has the potential to learn therefore we should make the concerted effort in getting them there. I do not think it should rest solely on me but it should be a collaborative effort, among teachers and teacher, teachers and parents, teachers and students and parents and students. Everyone has a part to play. In addition, there are foundations which students should have learnt in the earlier stages as supported by Chall’s in the stages of reading development. If students have not acquired a skill, why should they be sent up and allowed to continue? Teachers as well as parents need to make the initial effort. Take a stand and help them get there before they can actually get there. (If you know what I mean?)

I am truly sorry for the mixed perceptions but this idea of “strategic” is a little new to me. I’m trying and I hope I get there soon.

1 comment:

  1. I have no doubt that you will get there.
    The point you made about not observing the use of strategies by trained teachers confirms Jeane's point that even trained/qualified teachers do not use the strategies in instruction. I know that there are several issues with exams and the curriculum but I really wonder whether or not these trained teachers are motivated to use the strategies. That would be an area worth investigating. Will you be like one of them when you return to your school?

    ReplyDelete